Monday, January 11, 2010

1 Nephi 9

To read with working links ... CLICK HERE.


THE FIRST BOOK OF NEPHI
HIS REIGN AND MINISTRY

CHAPTER 9

Nephi makes two sets of records—Each is called the plates of Nephi—The larger plates contain a secular history; the smaller ones deal primarily with sacred things. Between 600 and 592 B.C.

1 And all these things did my father see, and hear, and speak, as he dwelt in a tent, in the avalley of Lemuel, and also a great many more things, which cannot be written upon these plates.

2 And now, as I have spoken concerning these plates, behold they are not the plates upon which I make a full account of the history of my people; for the aplates upon which I make a full account of my people I have given the name of Nephi; wherefore, they are called the plates of Nephi, after mine own name; and these plates also are called the plates of Nephi.

3 Nevertheless, I have received a commandment of the Lord that I should make these plates, for the special apurpose that there should be an account engraven of the bministry of my people.

4 Upon the other plates should be engraven an account of the reign of the kings, and the wars and contentions of my people; wherefore these plates are for the more part of the ministry; and the aother plates are for the more part of the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions of my people.

5 Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a awise purpose in him, which purpose I know not.

6 But the Lord aknoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all bpower unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the faith of Nephi. I am sure making an extra set of plates that was different than the other set he was working on was not easy and very time consuming. But he did it. Without even knowing why. He has completely given up his wills to the Fathers. I guess that is what we have to do in order to be like Nephi and have that kind of faith. Faith unwavering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An angel asked Adam why he sacrificed unto the Lord, Adam answered, "I know not save the Lord hath commanded me"
    Nephi did the same thing, he's not sure why he was to make another record but he did because he was commanded to.
    I remember when President Hinckley asked the women to only wear one pair of earrings. I had to remove a pair and a-half (and I loved those piercings). Someone asked me WHY did I have to remove them, and I was able to tell her that I knew not, but I did know that Gordon B. Hinckley was a Prophet of God and he told me to.
    We will continue to be asked to do things that we might not understand. Just like Jill's obedient friend, making phone calls for prop 8. The natural man will make excuses for doing things because he doesn't 'get it'
    I can be faithful like Nephi and do what I'm asked/commanded to do even when I don't understand why.
    I heart great examples!

    ReplyDelete